Neighbourhood characteristics of lower-income families in census metropolitan areas

Articles and reports: 36-28-0001202200400002

Description:

Statistics Canada continues develop and refine neighbourhood-level information to answer questions about where Canadians live and how this affects their lives. Based on a sample of almost 50,000 survey respondents, residing in 6,481 neighbourhoods, across 29 CMAs in Canada, this article compares the neighbourhood characteristics of individuals in the bottom 20% of the family income distribution with those in the other 80% of the income distribution. This focus is taken given the primary role that family income plays in shaping housing options and decisions, and the prospects that those in the bottom 20% are most constrained in this respect.

Issue Number: 2022004
Author(s): Brown, W. Mark; Fonberg, Jonathan David; Schellenberg, Grant
FormatRelease dateMore information
HTMLApril 28, 2022
PDFApril 28, 2022