The Daily
 In the news  Indicators  Releases by subject
 Special interest  Release schedule  Information

New motor vehicle registrations, first quarter 2023

Released: 2023-08-02

In the first quarter of 2023, Canadians registered 355,774 new motor vehicles, an increase of 4.7% from one year earlier. New motor vehicle registrations increased 2.7% compared with the fourth quarter of 2022.

Among vehicle types, pickup trucks (+15.2%) saw the largest increase of new registrations in the first quarter of 2023 compared with the previous year. New registrations of multi-purpose vehicles (+5.0%) also increased. Conversely, new registrations of passenger cars (-8.4%) and vans (-2.1%) both decreased.

New registrations of all fuel types increased compared with the previous year, with new registrations of hybrid electric vehicles (+54.6%) increasing the most. More new battery-electric vehicles (BEVs) (+20.7%), plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) (+6.9%), diesel-powered vehicles (+3.6%) and gasoline-powered vehicles (+1.0%) were registered in the first quarter.

More zero-emission vehicles registered compared with one year earlier

In the first quarter of 2023, new zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs) comprised 8.6% of all new motor vehicles registered. This represents an increase from the first quarter of 2022, when ZEVs represented 7.7% of all new motor vehicle registrations, but a decline from the fourth quarter of 2022, when they represented 9.6%.

Among new ZEV registrations in the first quarter of 2023, BEVs increased 20.7% from the previous year, while PHEVs increased 6.9%. BEVs comprised 77.9% of all new ZEVs registered, while PHEVs comprised the other 22.1%.

Nearly one in five new vehicles registered in British Columbia is a zero-emission vehicle

Over 90% of new ZEVs registered in the first quarter of 2023 were registered in Canada's three largest provinces. The highest percentage of ZEVs was registered in British Columbia (17.9%), followed by Quebec (14.5%) and Ontario (5.9%).

More new ZEVs were registered in all provinces in the first quarter of 2023 compared with one year earlier. New ZEV registrations increased in Prince Edward Island (+72.7%), Saskatchewan (+43.1%), New Brunswick (+41.7%), Manitoba (+29.9%), British Columbia (+20.0%), Ontario (+18.7%) and Quebec (+12.0%).

  Note to readers

Estimates for Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Alberta are currently unavailable because of contractual limitations of the existing data sharing agreement. However, they are included in the Canadian total.

This survey looks at registrations of new motor vehicles in the provinces and territories in a given year.

Estimates for British Columbia include the territories.


The "New motor vehicle registrations: Quarterly data visualization tool," an interactive tool that allows users to compare and analyze new zero-emission motor vehicle registration data by fuel type and geography, is now available online.

Contact information

For more information, or to enquire about the concepts, methods or data quality of this release, contact us (toll-free 1-800-263-1136; 514-283-8300; or Media Relations (

Date modified: