Guides to the Canadian System of Macroeconomic Accounts
View the most recent version.
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
As part of Statistics Canada's initiative to provide data users with easy access to statistical concepts, sources and methods, two new guides to the macroeconomic accounts are being released today.
The Methodological Guide: Canadian System of Macroeconomic Accounts provides an overview of the Canadian System of Macroeconomic Accounts, as well as data sources and methods for selected series. This guide will be continuously updated to maintain its relevance.
The User Guide: Canadian System of Macroeconomic Accounts describes the structure and concepts of Canada's macroeconomic accounts. This first edition includes an introduction along with chapters on key concepts and supply and use accounts. Updated chapters will be released on a regular basis.
Note to readers
The Methodological Guide: Canadian System of Macroeconomic Accounts describes the following set of macroeconomic accounts and related statistics:
- National economic accounts
- Provincial and territorial economic accounts
- Productivity measures
- Investment and capital stock statistics
- International accounts and international trade
- Government Finance Statistics
- Satellite accounts and special studies.
With this initial edition of the User Guide: Canadian System of Macroeconomic Accounts, chapters 1, 3 and 4 of the following are released:
- Introduction and overview
- History of Canada's macroeconomic accounts
- Key concepts in brief
- Supply and use accounts
- Income and expenditure accounts
- Financial and wealth accounts
- Price and volume measures
- Non-resident sector accounts
- Government sector accounts
- Environmental and resource satellite account
- Satellite accounts and other Canadian System of Macroeconomic Accounts products.
The Methodological Guide: Canadian System of Macroeconomic Accounts (13-607-X) is now available from the Browse by key resource module of our website, under Publications.
The User Guide: Canadian System of Macroeconomic Accounts (13-606-G) is now available from the Browse by key resource module of our website, under Publications. This publication will be updated to maintain its relevance. It replaces the publication, A User Guide to the Canadian System of National Accounts ( 13-589-X).
For more information, or to enquire about the concepts, methods or data quality of this release, contact us (toll-free 1-800-263-1136; 514-283-8300; STATCAN.infostats-infostats.STATCAN@canada.ca) or Media Relations (613-951-4636; STATCAN.mediahotline-ligneinfomedias.STATCAN@canada.ca).