The Daily
 In the news  Indicators  Releases by subject
 Special interest  Release schedule  Information

Newspaper publishers, 2014

Warning View the most recent version.

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.

Released: 2016-03-31

The newspaper publishers industry generated operating revenue of $4.1 billion in 2014. Operating expenses were reported at $3.7 billion, which resulted in an operating profit margin of 9.5%.

Salaries, wages, commissions and benefits totalled $1.3 billion, representing 36.8% of total operating expenses. Other large contributors to operating expenses were cost of goods sold (13.0%) and subcontractors (12.9%).

Newspaper publishers in Ontario (44.0%) accounted for the largest share of the industry's operating revenues, followed by the Western provinces (30.5%), Quebec (19.3%) and the Atlantic provinces (6.1%).

The main contributor to total sales was advertising sales (64.2%), followed by circulation sales (20.1%) and the distribution of flyers and inserts (9.9%).

Total advertising sales were $2.4 billion, with $1.7 billion reported by daily newspapers and the rest by community and other newspapers. Print advertising accounted for 90.6% of total advertising sales. The major sources of print advertising sales were daily local advertising ($662.9 million), daily national advertising ($596.4 million) and community local advertising ($521.2 million). Digital advertising made up the remaining 9.4%, with daily digital advertising at $191.3 million and community digital advertising at $39.2 million.

Newspaper publishers reported $763.0 million in total circulation sales, with the majority coming from print circulation sales ($738.1 million). Digital circulation sales made up the remaining $24.9 million.

  Note to readers

Changes to the methodology were made to the Survey of Service Industries: Newspaper Publishers. Users should, therefore, exercise caution when comparing 2014 data with historical datasets. For more information on the methodology changes, consult the document on the Integrated Business Statistics Program in the Behind the data feature of our website.

Beginning with this release, the estimates are based on the 2012 North American Industrial Classification System.

The publication Newspaper Publishers (Catalogue number63-241-X) is no longer available. Data from the Survey of Service Industries: Newspaper Publishers will now be released in CANSIM.

With this release, CANSIM tables 361-0081 and 361-0082 are replacing CANSIM tables 361-0003 and 361-0022, which have now been terminated.

Contact information

For more information, or to enquire about the concepts, methods or data quality of this release, contact us (toll-free 1-800-263-1136; 514-283-8300; or Media Relations (613-951-4636;

Date modified: