The Daily
 In the news  Indicators  Releases by subject
 Special interest  Release schedule  Information

Performing arts, 2014

Warning View the most recent version.

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.

Released: 2016-03-29

Performing arts companies

In 2014, performing arts companies generated $1.9 billion in operating revenue for the entire industry. Operating expenses were $1.7 billion, resulting in an operating profit margin of 12.1%.

The vast majority of the industry's operating revenue was generated in four provinces: Quebec (36.2%), Ontario (33.4%), British Columbia (13.8%) and Alberta (8.9%).

For-profit organizations generated 56.4% of the operating revenue of performing arts companies, while the other 43.6% came from non-profit organizations.

Salaries, wages, commissions and benefits totalled $480.6 million in 2014 and were the main source of expenses for this group (28.6%).

Non-profit establishments

Operating revenue for all non-profit organizations among performing arts companies totalled $832.1 million in 2014. Just over two-thirds of the operating revenue was generated in Ontario (39.8%) and Quebec (27.4%).

Most of the operating revenue for performing arts companies came from theatre (except musical) companies (47.9%) and musical groups and artists (24.4%).

Total performance revenue was reported at $284.1 million and just over half (52.1%) was generated by theatre (except musical) companies. The sales of single tickets accounted for 51.2% of this revenue, followed by subscriptions (28.9%) and touring income (13.4%).

Total public sector grants were reported at $183.4 million in 2014. These grants were primarily from departments and agencies of provincial governments (46.9%) and the federal government (30.9%).

The private sector contributed to the operating revenue of performing arts companies in various ways, including individual donations (38.1% of total private sector contributions), corporate sponsorships (18.8%), fundraising events (16.8%) and foundations (16.2%).

  Note to readers

Changes to the methodology were made to the Survey of Service Industries: Performing Arts. Users should, therefore, exercise caution when comparing 2014 data with historical datasets. For more information on the methodology changes, consult the document on the Integrated Business Statistics Program, in the Behind the data feature of our website.

Beginning with this release, the estimates are based on the 2012 North American Industrial Classification System.

The publication Performing arts (Catalogue number87F0003X) is no longer available. Data from the Survey of Service Industries: Performing Arts will now be released in CANSIM.

With this release, CANSIM tables 361-0072 and 361-0073 are replacing CANSIM tables 361-0009 and 361-0029, which have now been terminated.

Contact information

For more information, or to enquire about the concepts, methods or data quality of this release, contact us (toll-free 1-800-263-1136; 514-283-8300; or Media Relations (613-951-4636;

Date modified: