Statistics Canada - Government of Canada
Accessibility: General informationSkip all menus and go to content.Home - Statistics Canada logo Skip main menu and go to secondary menu. Français 1 of 5 Contact Us 2 of 5 Help 3 of 5 Search the website 4 of 5 Canada Site 5 of 5
Skip secondary menu and go to the module menu. The Daily 1 of 7
Census 2 of 7
Canadian Statistics 3 of 7 Community Profiles 4 of 7 Our Products and Services 5 of 7 Home 6 of 7
Other Links 7 of 7

Warning View the most recent version.

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.

Skip module menu and go to content. Online catalogue Main page Discussion Tables and figures Appendices Glossary References More information PDF version

How Postal Codes Map to Geographic Areas

By Kaveri Mechanda and Henry Puderer, Geography Division, Statistics Canada

Overview

Statistics Canada creates files that provide the link between postal codes and the geographic areas by which it disseminates statistical data. By linking postal codes to the Statistics Canada geographic areas, Statistics Canada facilitates the extraction and subsequent aggregation of data for selected geographic areas from files available to users. Users can then take data from Statistics Canada for their areas and tabulate this with other data for these same areas to create a combined statistical profile for these areas.

An issue has been the methodology used by Statistics Canada to establish the linkage of postal codes to geographic areas. In order to address this issue, Statistics Canada decided to create a conceptual framework on which to base the rules for linking postal codes and Statistics Canada's geographic areas. This working paper presents the conceptual framework and intends to accomplish the following:

  • study the postal code concepts and descriptors used by Canada Post Corporation in terms of their typology and occurrence
  • examine how postal codes are used and construct postal code service areas based on the usage
  • establish business rules governing the geocoding or linkage of postal codes to standard geographic areas and provide indicators of data quality and other metadata

The methodology described in this paper will be the basis for linking postal codes to the 2006 Census geographic areas. This paper is presented for feedback from users of Statistics Canada's postal code related products.

The link between postal codes and Statistics Canada's geographic areas is currently provided in the Postal Code Conversion File (PCCF) and the Postal Code Federal Riding File (PCFRF). The expectation is that the geocoding rules and recommendations for quality indicators can be used to create these products. These new rules have been tested on the linkages to 2001 Census geographic areas and have resulted in revision over 40,000 records or about 2% of the records in the PCCF. The testing done to date indicates that about 90% of the postal codes can be geocoded with the new geocoding rules established in this working paper. More research is needed on geocoding the other 10% of the postal codes – the more recent data from the 2006 Census is expected to aid in geocoding some of these postal codes. The PCCF and PCFRF are now planned to have their postal codes geocoded to the 2006 Census geographic areas using the new geocoding rules.


You need to use the free Adobe Reader to view PDF documents. To view (open) these files, simply click on the link. To download (save) them, right-click on the link. Note that if you are using Internet Explorer or AOL, PDF documents sometimes do not open properly. See Troubleshooting PDFs. PDF documents may not be accessible by some devices. For more information, visit the Adobe website or contact us for assistance.


Home | Search | Contact Us | Français Top of page
Date modified: 2007-02-14 Important Notices
Online catalogue Main page Discussion Tables and figures Appendices Glossary More information PDF version