Provincial/territorial distribution

Warning View the most recent version.

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.

Chart 4 Provincial/territorial distribution of Aboriginal identity population, 2006

Eight in 10 Aboriginal people live in Ontario and in the western provinces

The 2006 Census showed that the largest number of Aboriginal people live in Ontario and the western provinces. Nearly 250,000 of the over 1.1 million Aboriginal people in Canada were living in Ontario in 2006 and over 700,000 resided in the four western provinces.

While a high proportion of the Aboriginal population live in these five provinces they do not necessarily represent a large portion of the population in the province. For example, Aboriginal people made up 2% of the population of Ontario, 5% of British Columbia's population, 6% of Alberta's population, and 15% of Manitoba and Saskatchewan's total population. On the other hand, Aboriginal people comprised 85% of the population of Nunavut and 50% of the population in the Northwest Territories.

Related data:

Census highlight tables provide this data for Aboriginal identity population for Canada, as well as provinces and territories, census metropolitan areas, census agglomerations and census subdivisions. The second link contains 2006 Census topic-based tabulations (TBTs) that contain population counts based on Aboriginal ancestry and registered Indian status.

Related articles:

2006 Census: Aboriginal Peoples in Canada in 2006: Inuit, Métis and First Nations, 2006 Census

This article reveals that the number of people who identified themselves as an Aboriginal person has surpassed the one-million mark, and provides information on age distribution, Aboriginal languages, living arrangements, housing characteristics and geographic mobility. Separate data are provided for Inuit, Métis and First Nations people.

Report a problem on this page

Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?

Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.

Privacy notice

Date modified: