Co-offending in Canada, 2011: highlights
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
- Co-offending, that is crimes involving two or more accused people, accounted for 11% of cleared incidents in Canada in 2011. Of the incidents in which an accused was identified, 8% were pair offences, involving 2 accused, and 3% were group crimes, involving 3 or more accused.
- The prevalence of pair offending was highest in the Northwest Territories (10% of cleared incidents) and lowest in Quebec (6% of cleared incidents). Group crime was most prevalent in Ontario and Saskatchewan (3% of cleared incidents respectively) and lowest in Nunavut (1% of cleared incidents).
- The prevalence of pair offending in selected jurisdictions in Canada decreased by 1.8% between 1995 and 2006 and has remained relatively stable since that time. The prevalence of group crime decreased by 0.5%.
- Most co-offences that occurred in Canada in 2011 were pair crimes. In total, more than three-quarters (76%) of co-offences involved two offenders, while the remaining 24% involved 3 or more. Group crimes involving numerous offenders were relatively rare as the majority of group crimes involved just three people. Less than 2% of co-offences (and less than 0.2% of all cleared incidents) involved 6 or more accused persons.
- Co-offending was more common among female accused (27% were co-offenders) than male accused (21%). However, most co-offending groups were made up exclusively of male accused (54%). This is due to the fact that the majority (77%) of people accused of an offence in 2011 were male.
- Co-offending was more common among youth aged 12 to 17 (44%) than among adults (19%). However, the majority of co-offences (65%) were made up exclusively of adults. This is due to the fact that the majority (84%) of people accused of an offence in 2011 were adults.
- Among accused of all ages, pair offending and group crime were more common in incidents involving drug trafficking, production, and importation/exportation, robbery, arson, and counterfeiting. Co-offending was less common among incidents of impaired driving, sexual violations against children, offences against the administration of justice, and level 1 sexual assaults.
- In incidents exclusively involving youth, pair offending and group crime were more common in incidents involving breaking and entering, arson, robbery, possession of stolen property, and theft over $5,000 and theft of $5,000 or under.
- Co-offences tended to be more serious in nature compared to lone offences. Co-offences were more likely to have involved a firearm or other weapon, and to have resulted in injury to the victim. Further, hate crimes were more likely than those incidents not motivated by hate to involve co-offenders.
- Date modified: