Canadians' self-reported feelings of safety from crime, by sex and self-reported victimization experiences, 2009
|Feelings of safety from crime||Victims of spousal violenceNote 1||Victims of non-spousal violenceNote 2||Non-victimsNote †|
|FemaleNote †||Male||Total||FemaleNote †||Male||Total||FemaleNote †||Male||Total|
|Very or somewhat satisfied||89||95||92||87Note **||92Note *, Note **||89Note **||91||94Note *||93|
|Somewhat or very dissatisfied||10Note E: Use with caution||Note F: too unreliable to be published||7Note E: Use with caution||13Note **||8Note E: Use with cautionNote *, Note **||10Note **||7||5Note *||6|
|Walking alone after dark in your neighbourhoodNote 3|
|Safe||80||96Note *||88||75Note **||90Note *, Note **||84Note **||85||95Note *||91|
|Unsafe||20Note E: Use with caution||Note F: too unreliable to be published||12Note E: Use with caution||25Note **||10Note E: Use with cautionNote * , Note **||16Note **||14||5Note *||9|
|Using or waiting for public transportation alone after darkNote 4|
|Not at all worried||36Note E: Use with caution||74Note *||57||28Note E: Use with caution, Note **||67Note *||50Note **||43||73Note *||59|
|Somewhat or very worried||64Note E: Use with caution||Note F: too unreliable to be published||43Note E: Use with caution||72Note **||32Note *||50Note **||56||26Note *||40|
|Home alone in the evening or at nightNote 5|
|Not at all worried||65Note **||85Note *||75Note **||71Note **||86Note *, Note **||79Note **||77||90Note *||83|
|Somewhat or very worried||35Note **||14E Note *||25Note **||29Note **||14Note *, Note **||21Note **||23||9Note *||16|
E use with caution
F too unreliable to be published
† reference category
* significantly different from reference category, females (p < 0.05)
** significantly different from reference category, non-victims (p < 0.05)
1. Includes violence against legally married, common-law and same-sex spouses in the previous 12 months.
2. Includes violence against non-spousal family members, friends, acquaintances and strangers in the previous 12 months.
3. Excludes those that stated that they do not or never walk alone in their area after dark.
4. Excludes those living in cities or communities without public transportation and those who never use public transportation after dark.
5. Excludes those who are never alone in their home in the evening or at night.
Note: Responses of 'Don't know' and 'Not stated' are not listed, and therefore, the sum of victims may not add up to the total. Excludes data from the Northwest Territories, Yukon and Nunavut.
Source: Statistics Canada, General Social Survey, 2009.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: