Average counts of adults in custody, by type of custody status and jurisdiction, 2010/2011
View the most recent version.
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
|Jurisdiction||RemandNote 1||Sentenced custodyNote 2||Other temporary detentionNote 3||Total custody||Percent change in total rate 2009/2010 to 2010/2011||Percent change in total rate 2000/2001 to 2010/2011|
|number||rateNote 4||number||rateNote 4||number||rateNote 4||number||rateNote 4|
|Province or territory|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||81||19.4||233||55.9||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||314||75.3||0.0||7.2|
|Prince Edward Island||18||16.0||91||79.5||5||4.4||114||99.9||27.9||19.2|
|Quebec||2,062||32.3||2,526||39.6||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||4,589||71.9||-1.3||28.5|
|Manitoba||1,298||136.6||721||75.9||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||2,019||212.5||6.4||63.3|
|Saskatchewan||516||64.3||997||124.2||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||1,513||188.5||-1.0||24.0|
|Alberta||1,733||59.8||1,256||43.3||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||2,989||103.1||1.2||21.5|
|Yukon||39||141.3||35||129.3||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period||74||270.7||-7.3||14.8|
|NunavutNote 5||53||257.9||43.1||210.9||26||126||122||595.7||7.8||Note ..: not available for a specific reference period|
|Federal||Note ...: not applicable||Note ...: not applicable||13,758||50.6||Note ...: not applicable||Note ...: not applicable||13,758||50.6||2.6||-5.8|
.. not available for a specific reference period
… not applicable
1. Includes adults held in remand only, and inmates held in remand and sentenced custody (dual status).
2. Includes adults held in sentenced custody only, and inmates held in sentenced custody and other temporary detention (dual status).
3. Includes adults held in other temporary detention only, and inmates held in other temporary detention and remand (dual status).
4. Rates are calculated per 100,000 adult population (18 years and over) using revised July 1st population estimates from Statistics Canada, Demography Division. Rates may not match those previously published in other reports.
5. The average number of adults in custody in Nunavut was not available in 2000/2001. As such, the percent change from 2000/2001 to 2010/2011 cannot be calculated.
6. Percent changes in the total rate of custody from 2000/2001 to 2010/2011 exclude Nunavut.
Note: Counts are based upon the average number of adults in custody on any given day. Figures may not add up due to rounding.
Source: Statistics Canada, Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics, Corrections Key Indicator Report for Adults.
- Date modified: