Health Research Working Paper Series
The Health of Inuit, Métis and First Nations Adults Living Off-Reserve in Canada: The Impact of Socio-economic Status on Inequalities in Health
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
1. Statistics Canada. Aboriginal Peoples in Canada in 2006: Inuit, Métis and First Nations, 2006 Census (Catalogue 97-558-XIE) Ottawa: Statistics Canada, 2008
2. Guimond E. Ethnic mobility and the demographic growth of Canada's Aboriginal populations from 1986 to 1996. In: Bélanger A, ed. Report on the Demographic Situation in Canada, 1998-1999 (Statistics Canada Catalogue 91-209-XIE) Ottawa: Statistics Canada, 2006.
3. Wilkins R, Uppal S, Finès P, Senécal S, Guimond É, Dion R. Life expectancy in Inuit-inhabited regions of Canada, 1989 to 2003. Health Reports (Statistics Canada, Catalogue 82-003) 2009; 19(1): 1-13.
4. Wilkins R, Tjepkema M, Mustard C, Choinière R. The Canadian census mortality follow-up study, 1991 through 2001. Health Reports (Statistics Canada, Catalogue 82-003) 2009; 19(3): 25-43.
5. Health Canada. A Statistical Profile on the Health of First Nations in Canada 2000 (Health Canada, Catalogue H35-4/30-2000) Ottawa, Minister of Health Canada, 2005.
6. Janz T, Seto J, Turner A. Aboriginal Peoples Survey, 2006: An Overview of the Health of the Métis Population (Catalogue 89-637-X — No. 004) Ottawa: Statistics Canada, 2009.
7. RHS National Team. First Nations Regional Longitudinal Health Survey (RHS) 2002/03. Ottawa: Assembly of First Nations/First Nations Information Governance Committee, 2007.
8. Tjepkema M. The health of the off-reserve Aboriginal population. Health Reports (Statistics Canada, Catalogue 82-003) 2002; 13(Suppl. 1): 1-16.
9. Statistics Canada. 2006 Census of Population -- Income Statistics (4) in Constant (2005) Dollars, Age Groups (5A), Aboriginal Identity, Registered Indian Status and Aboriginal Ancestry (21), Highest Certificate, Diploma or Degree (5) and Sex (3) for the Population 15 Years and Over With Income of Canada, Provinces, Territories, 2000 and 2005 - 20% Sample Data (Statistics Canada catalogue 97-563-XCB2006008). Available at: http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/tbt/Rp-eng.cfm?LANG=E&APATH=3&DETAIL=0&DIM=0&FL=A&FREE=0&GC=0&GID=614135&GK=0&GRP=1
10. Richards J. Closing the Aboriginal/non-Aboriginal Education Gaps. Toronto: C.D. Howe Institute, 2008.
11. Richards J, Hove J, Afolabi K. Understanding the Aboriginal/Non-Aboriginal Gap in Student Performance: Lessons from British Columbia. Toronto: C.D. Howe Institute, 2008.
12. Tait H. Aboriginal Peoples Survey, 2006: Inuit Health and Social Conditions (Statistics Canada, Catalogue 89-637-X — No. 001) Ottawa: Statistics Canada, 2008.
13. Avlund K, Holstein BE, Osler M, et al. Social position and health in old age: the relevance of different indicators of social position. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health 2003; 31(2): 126-36.
14. Backlund E, Sorlie PD, Johnson NJ. The shape of the relationship between income and mortality in the United States - Evidence from the national longitudinal mortality study. Annals of Epidemiology 1996; 6(1): 12-20.
15. Duncan GJ. Income dynamics and health. International Journal of Health Services 1996; 26(3): 419-44.
16. Hart CL, Smith GD, Blane D. Inequalities in mortality by social class measured at 3 stages of the lifecourse. American Journal of Public Health 1998; 88(3): 471-4.
17. Kawachi I. Income inequality and health. In: Berkman LF, Kawachi I, editors. Social Epidemiology. New York: Oxford University Press, Inc., 2000: 76-94.
18. Lahelma E, Martikainen P, Laaksonen M, et al. Pathways between socioeconomic determinants of health. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2004; 58(4): 327-32.
19. Lynch JW, Kaplan GA, Shema SJ. Cumulative impact of sustained economic hardship on physical, cognitive, psychological, and social functioning. New England Journal of Medicine 1997; 337(26): 1889-95.
20. Davey Smith G, Hart C, Blane D, et al. Lifetime socioeconomic position and mortality: Prospective observational study. British Medical Journal 1997; 314(7080): 547-52.
21. Davey Smith G, Hart C, Blane D, et al. Adverse socioeconomic conditions in childhood and cause specific adult mortality: prospective observational study. British Medical Journal 1998; 316(7145): 1631-35.
22. Calcutt D. Aboriginal People's Survey, 2006: Concepts and Methods Guide (Statistics Canada, Catalogue 89-637-X No. 003) Ottawa: Statistics Canada, 2009.
23. Statistics Canada. Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS) 2007 Microdata files -- User Guide. Ottawa: Statistics Canada, 2008. Available at: /cgi-bin/af-fdr.cgi?l=eng&loc=/imdb-bmdi/document/3226_D7_T9_V4-eng.pdf&teng=User%20Guide&tfra=Guide%20de%20l'utilisateur.
24. Murphy K, Connor Gorber S, O'Dwyer A. HealthState Descriptions for Canadians: Diabetes (Statistics Canada, Catalogue 82-619-MIE - No. 002) Ottawa: Statistics Canada, 2005.
25. Kelly C, Booth G. Diabetes in Canadian women. BMC Women's Health 2004; 4(Suppl 1): S16-S24.
26. Romanow RJ. Building on Values: The Future of Health Care in Canada, Ottawa: National Library of Canada, 2002.
27. Ng E, Dasgupta K, Johnson JA. An algorithm to differentiate diabetic respondents in the Canadian Community Health Survey. Health Reports (Statistics Canada, Catalogue 82-003) 2008; 19(1): 1-9.
28. Das SK. Harmful effects of cigarette smoking. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 2003; 253(1-2): 159-65.
29. Fagerstrom K. The epidemiology of smoking: Health consequences and benefits of cessation. Drugs 2002; 62(Suppl 2.): 1-9.
30. Charbonneau-Roberts G, Saudny-Unterberger H, Kuhnlein HV et al. Body mass index may overestimate the prevalence of overweight and obesity among the Inuit. International Journal of Circumpolar Health 2005; 64(2): 163-9.
31. McCargar L, Should the 1988 Canadian Guidelines for Healthy Weights be Updated? Ottawa: Health Canada, 2003
32. Young TK, Bjerregaard P, Dewailly E et al. Prevalence of obesity and its metabolic correlates among the circumpolar Inuit in 3 countries. American Journal of Public Health 2007; 97(4): 691-5.
33. Bertakis KD, Azari R. Obesity and the use of health care services. Obesity Research 2005; 13(2): 372-9.
34. Field AE, Coakley EH, Must A et al. Impact of overweight on the risk of developing common chronic diseases during a 10-year period. Archives of Internal Medicine 2001; 161(9): 1581-6.
35. Janssen I, Katzmarzyk PT, Ross R. Body mass index, waist circumference and health risk: Evidence in support of current National Institutes of Health guidelines. Archives of Internal Medicine 2002; 162(11): 2074-9.
36. King M, Smith A, Gracey M. Indigenous health part 2: The underlying causes of the health gap. Lancet 2009; 374: 76-85.
37. Loppie Reading C, Wien F. Health Inequalities and Social Determinants of Aboriginal People's Health. British Columbia: National Collaborating Centre for Aboriginal Health, 2009.
38. Krieger N, Williams DR, Moss NE. Measuring social class in US public health research: concepts, methodologies, and guidelines. Annual Review of Public Health 1997; 18: 341-78.
39. Allison PA. Comparing logit and probit coefficients across groups. Sociological Methods & Research 1999; 28(2): 186-208.
40. Hoetker G. Confounded coefficients: Accurately comparing logit and probit coefficients across groups. Illinois: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2004.