View the most recent version.
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
1. Greenberg L, Normandin C. Disparities in life expectancy at birth. Health at a Glance (Statistics Canada, Catalogue 82-624-X) 2011. Available at: at http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-624-x/2011001/article/11427-eng.htm. Accessed April 19, 2012.
2. Romanow R. Building on Values: The Future of Health Care in Canada – Final Report. Ottawa: Commission on the Future of Health Care in Canada, 2002.
3. Bjerregaard P, Young TK, Dewailly E, Ebbesson SOE. Indigenous health in the Arctic: an overview of the circumpolar Inuit population. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health 2004; 32(5): 390-5.
4. Carrière G, Tjepkema M, Pennock J, Goedhuis N. Cancer patterns in Inuit Nunangat, 1998-2007. International Journal of Circumpolar Health 2012; 71 (18581).
5. Oliver LN, Peters PA, Kohen DE. Mortality rates among children and youth aged 1 to 19 living in Inuit Nunangat, 1994-2008. Health Reports 2012; 23(3): 17-22.
6. Penny C, Senécal S, Bobet E. Mortalité par suicide dans les collectives inuites au Canada: taux et effets des caractéristiques des collectivités. Cahiers québécois de démographie 2009; 38(2): 311-43.
7. Zhong-Cheng L, Senécal S, Simonet F, et al. Birth outcomes in the Inuit-inhabited areas of Canada. Canadian Medical Association Journal 2010; 182(3): 235-42.
8. Peters PA. Causes and contributions to differences in life expectancy for Inuit Nunangat and Canada, 1994-2003. International Journal of Circumpolar Health 2010; 69: 66-77.
9. Peters PA. Shifting transitions: health inequalities in Inuit Nunangat in perspective. Journal of Rural and Community Development 2012; 7(1): 36-58.
10. Peters PA, Oliver LN, Carrière GM. Geozones: an area-based method for analysis of health outcomes. Health Reports 2012; 23(1): 55-64.
11. Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami. Inuit of Canada. Ottawa: Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, 2011.
12. Wolfson MC. On the uses of summary measures of population health. In: Murray CJL, Salomon JA, Mathers CD, Lopez AD, eds. Summary Measures of Population Health: Concepts, Ethics, Measurement and Applications. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2002.
13. Green ME. Reporting Infant Mortality Rates for Aboriginal Populations in Canada: A Jurisdictional Review of Methodologies. Final Reports of the CPSS, HIAD-FINHB, AFN, ITK, and MNC Joint Working Group for the Improvement of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Infant Mortality Data. Ottawa: Health Canada, 2009.
14. Wilkins R, Uppal S, Finès P, et al. Life expectancy in the Inuit-inhabited areas of Canada, 1989 to 2003. Health Reports 2008; 19(1): 1-13.
15. Murray CJL, Salomon JA, Mathers CD, Lopez AD. Summary Measures of Population Health: Concepts, Ethics, Measurement, and Applications. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2002.
16. Foliaki S, Pearce M. Changing pattern of ill health for Indigenous people. British Medical Journal 2003; 327(7412): 406-7.
17. Mackenbach JP, Stirbu I, Roskam A-JR, et al. Socioeconomic inequalities in health in 22 European countries. New England Journal of Medicine 2004; 358(23): 2468-81.
18. Chiang CL. The Life Table and Its Applications. Malabar: Robert E Krieger Publishing Company, 1984.
19. Toson B, Baker A. Life Expectancy at Birth: Methodological Options for Small Populations. Report No: 33. Norwich, United Kingdom: Office for National Statistics, 2003.
20. Arriaga EE. Measuring and explaining the change in life expectancies. Demography 1984; 21(1): 83-96.
21. Ponnapalli KM. A comparison of different methods for decomposition of changes in expectation of life at birth and differentials in life expectancy at birth. Demographic Research 2005; 12(7): 141-72.
22. Preston SH, Hueveline P, Guillot M. Demography: Measuring and Modeling Population Processes. Malden, Massachusetts: Blackwell Publishing, 2001.
23. Auger N, Harper S, Barry AD, et al. Life expectancy gap between the Francophone majority and Anglophone minority of a Canadian population. European Journal of Epidemiology 2012; 27(1): 27-38.
24. Auger N, Alix C, Zang G, Daniel M. Sex, age, deprivation and patterns in life expectancy in Quebec, Canada: a population-based study. BMC Public Health 2010; 10(161).
25. Wen CP, Tsai SP, Shih Y-T, Chung W-SI. Bridging the gap in life expectancy of the aborigines in Taiwan. International Journal of Epidemiology 2004; 33(2): 320-7.
26. Zhao Y, Dempsey K. Causes of inequality in life expectancy between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people in the Northern Territory, 1981-2000: a decomposition analysis. Medical Journal of Australia 2006; 184(10): 490-4.
27. Statistics Canada. CANSIM Table 107-0706. Available at: http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/pick-choisir?lang=eng&p2=33&id=1020706. Accessed April 19, 2012.
28. Richmond CAM. The social determinants of Inuit health: a focus on social support in the Canadian Arctic. International Journal of Circumpolar Health 2009; 68(5): 471-87.
29. Garner R, Carrière G, Sanmartin C, The Longitudinal Health and Administrative Data Research Team. The health of First Nations living off-reserve, Inuit, and Métis adults in Canada: The impact of socio-economic status on inequalities in health. Health Research Working Paper Series. No. 004 (Catalogue 82-622-X) Ottawa: Statistics Canada, 2010.