Monthly Aircraft Movements: Small airports - Airports without NAV CANADA Towers or Flight Service Stations, February 2017
Take-offs and landings at 126 Canadian airports without air traffic control towers reached a total of 35,284 movements in February. Seven airports accounted for 31% of the month’s activity: Peterborough, Ontario (2,634 movements), Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador (1,953), Drummondville, Quebec (1,629), Pickle Lake, Ontario (1,361), Red Lake, Ontario (1,218), Comox, British Columbia (1,169) and Trois-Rivières, Quebec (1,108).
Total aircraft movements for the 121 airports for which year-over-year comparisons were possible rose from 34,154 to 34,930 in February 2017. This growth in movements was achieved even though 64 of these airports reported reduced levels of activity. Overall, the increases recorded at Drummondville (+1,104 movements), Peterborough (+922) and Yorkton Municipal, Saskatchewan (+413) were sufficient to offset the declines reported at Miramichi, New Brunswick (-288) and Collingwood, Ontario (-216).
In February 2017, there were 26,719 itinerant movements (flights from one airport to another) reported by 109 airports with Goose Bay (1,953 movements) and Pickle Lake (1,303) recording the largest numbers.
Forty-five airports reported 6,584 local movements (flights that remain in the vicinity of the airport). Peterborough remained the most active site with 2,386 take-offs and landings, representing 36% of the total local movements reported.
Factors which may have influenced the data
1. Aggregate data only are available for the following 19 airports reported by Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation:
- Berens River
- Bloodvein River
- Cross Lake
- God’s Lake Narrows
- God’s River
- Lac Brochet
- Little Grand Rapids
- Oxford House
- Poplar River
- Red Sucker Lake
- South Indian Lake
- Tadoule Lake
- Thicket Portage
- York Landing
2. Aggregate data only are available for the following 12 airports reported by the Kativik Regional Government in Quebec:
3. Aggregate data only are available for Tillsonburg, Ontario.
4. When comparing monthly data for current year versus previous year, please note that:
- a) Data for the following airports were included in the report for February 2016 but were not available at the time of the release of this report.
Fort Good Hope, Northwest Territories
Watson Lake, Yukon
- b) Data for the following airports were included in February 2017 but not in February 2016.
Beaver Creek, Yukon
Grise Fiord, Nunavut
- Date modified: