Monthly Aircraft Movements: Small airports - Airports without NAV CANADA Towers or Flight Service Stations, December 2016
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
Take-offs and landings at 110 Canadian airports without air traffic control towers reached a total of 32,166 movements in December. Eight airports accounted for 43% of the month’s activity: Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador (2,246 movements), St. Theresa Point, Manitoba (2,151), Moosonee, Ontario (2,113), Red Lake, Ontario (1,755), Peterborough, Ontario (1,557), Island Lake, Manitoba (1,544), Pickle Lake, Ontario (1,285) and Comox, British Columbia (1,224).
Total aircraft movements for the 109 airports for which year-over-year comparisons were possible decreased from 35,946 to 32,095 in December 2016 as 62 airports reported fewer movements. The largest declines were recorded at the following airports: Moosonee (-2,296 movements), Sherbrooke, Quebec (-396) and Trois-Rivières, Quebec (-282). Among those airports with increases, the largest gains were reported at Peterborough (+366) and Montmagny, Quebec (+205).
In December 2016, there were 26,392 itinerant movements (flights from one airport to another) reported by 91 airports with Goose Bay (2,246 movements) and St. Theresa Point (2,141) recording the largest numbers.
Thirty-nine airports reported 3,854 local movements (flights that remain in the vicinity of the airport). Peterborough remained the most active site with 1,372 take-offs and landings, representing 36% of the total local movements reported.
Factors which may have influenced the data
- Aggregate data only are available for the following 19 airports reported by Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation:
- Berens River
- Bloodvein River
- Cross Lake
- God’s Lake Narrows
- God’s River
- Lac Brochet
- Little Grand Rapids
- Oxford House
- Poplar River
- Red Sucker Lake
- South Indian Lake
- Tadoule Lake
- Thicket Portage
- York Landing
- Aggregate data only are available for the following 12 airports reported by the Kativik Regional Government in Quebec:
- Aggregate data only are available for Tillsonburg, Ontario.
- When comparing monthly data for current year versus previous year, please note that:
- Data for the following airports were included in the report for December 2015 but were not available at the time of the release of this report.
Fort Frances Municipal, Ontario
Fort Good Hope, Northwest Territories
Gjoa Haven, Nunavut
- Data for the following airport was included in December 2016 but not in December 2015.
Aklavik, Northwest Territories