The changing landscape of Canadian metropolitan areas
Thunder Bay, Ontario
- At the CMA level, built-up area increased from 71 km2 in 1971 to 193 km2 in 2011, an increase of 170%.
- At the CMA-E level, built-up area increased from 79 km2 in 1971 to 307 km2 in 2011, an increase of 289%.
- In 2011, the natural and semi-natural land class was divided into forest (59%), water (8%) and other (33%).
- From 1971 to 2011, 20 km2 of arable land and 130 km2 of natural and semi-natural land were lost to settled area.
- Of the natural and semi-natural land converted to settled area from 1971 to 2011, 62.2% was forest, 5.3% was natural land for pasture and 32.4% was classed as other.
- Population in the CMA increased by 5% from 115,564 to 121,596 between 1971 and 2011.
- The number of dwellings in the CMA increased by 69% from 33,190 to 56,071 between 1971 and 2011.
Start of text box
End of text box
- Date modified: