The changing landscape of Canadian metropolitan areas
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador
- At the CMA level, built-up area increased from 60 km2 in 1971 to 181 km2 in 2011, an increase of 201%.
- At the CMA-E level, built-up area increased from 65 km2 in 1971 to 204 km2 in 2011, an increase of 215%.
- In 2011, the natural and semi-natural land class was divided into forest (56%), water (11%) and other (33%).
- From 1971 to 2011, 19 km2 of arable land and 91 km2 of natural and semi-natural land were lost to settled area.
- Of the natural and semi-natural land converted to settled area from 1971 to 2011, 91.8% was forest, 2.6% was natural land for pasture and 5.6% was classed as other.
- Population in the CMA increased by 48% from 132,937 to 196,966 between 1971 and 2011.
- The number of dwellings in the CMA increased by 182% from 29,951 to 84,542 between 1971 and 2011.
Start of text box
End of text box
- Date modified: