Canadian Culture Satellite Account (CSA)
The following describes the concepts, methods and sources of the Canadian Culture Satellite Account (CSA) developed by Statistics Canada.
The CSA provides measures of the economic importance of culture (inclusive of the arts and heritage) and sport by province and territory in terms of output, gross domestic product and employment, for a reference year.
The CSA is a product of both the Canadian Framework for Culture Statistics (CFCS) and the Canadian System of Macroeconomic Accounts (CSMA). The CFCS provides the guiding principles to define and identify cultural economic activity, whereas the CSMA provides the mechanism and data to derive the estimates.
The development of the CSA is funded by the Department of Canadian Heritage and its partners:
- The provincial and territorial ministries of culture and/or heritage
- BC Alliance for Arts + Culture
- Canada Council for the Arts
- Creative City Network of Canada and all participating municipalities
- Cultural Human Resources Council
- Library and Archives Canada
- Ontario Arts Council
- Ontario College of Art & Design University (OCAD)
- Ontario Media Development Corporation
- Telefilm Canada
Canadian System of Macroeconomic Accounts and the Culture Satellite Account
Key definitions and concepts
Updating the Culture Satellite Account
Provincial and Territorial Culture Indicators
Trade of Culture and Sport Products
Tourism Spending on Culture and Sport Products