A Portrait of Canadian Farms
Release date: May 17, 2017
Description: A Portrait of Canadian Farms
In 2016, there were 271,935 farm operators and 193,492 farms with a total area of 158.7 million acres across Canada.
|Province||Average farm area in acres|
|British Columbia||365 acres|
|New Brunswick||370 acres|
|Nova Scotia||263 acres|
|Prince Edward Island||425 acres|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||174 acres|
Most common farm types
- Oilseed and grain 32.9%
- Cattle ranching and farming 24.1%
Portrait of farm operators
- Average age was 55.0 years old.
- 9.1% were under 35 years of age.
- For every 5 males, there were 2 female farm operators.
- 51.7% worked 30 hours or more per week on the farm in 2015.
- 44.4% worked off the farm in 2015.
|Province||Number of farms
|Prince Edward Island||1.4|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||0.4|
Farms are businesses
- 1 in 4 farms were incorporated in 2016.
Source: Census of Agriculture, 2016.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: