A Portrait of Canadian Farms
View the most recent version.
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
Description: A Portrait of Canadian Farms
In 2016, there were 271,935 farm operators and 193,492 farms with a total area of 158.7 million acres across Canada.
|Province||Average farm area in acres|
|British Columbia||365 acres|
|New Brunswick||370 acres|
|Nova Scotia||263 acres|
|Prince Edward Island||425 acres|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||174 acres|
Most common farm types
- Oilseed and grain 32.9%
- Cattle ranching and farming 24.1%
Portrait of farm operators
- Average age was 55.0 years old.
- 9.1% were under 35 years of age.
- For every 5 males, there were 2 female farm operators.
- 51.7% worked 30 hours or more per week on the farm in 2015.
- 44.4% worked off the farm in 2015.
|Province||Number of farms
|Prince Edward Island||1.4|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||0.4|
Farms are businesses
- 1 in 4 farms were incorporated in 2016.
Source: Census of Agriculture, 2016.
- Date modified: