Youth correctional services, 2010/2011

Warning View the most recent version.

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.

Related subjects

    [an error occurred while processing this directive]

PDF version

Previous release

On any given day in 2010/2011, there were about 14,800 young people aged 12 to 17 under the supervision of Canada's correctional system. Of these, just over 13,300 (90%) were under supervision in the community, usually on probation. The remaining 1,500 (10%) were in custody.

The youth corrections rate per 10,000 population aged 12 to 17 has generally been on a downward trend in recent years. The 2010/2011 rate was 6% lower than in 2009/2010 and 12% lower than five years earlier.

The number of young people in remand awaiting trial or sentencing outnumbered those in sentenced custody for the fourth consecutive year. Of the 1,500 young people in custody in 2010/2011, 54% (or 820 youth) were in remand, while 44% were in sentenced custody.

Between 2009/2010 and 2010/2011, the rate of youth under community supervision fell 6%, while rates for those in sentenced custody and remand both declined 5%.

Note to readers

This release is based on a Juristat article that presents 2010/2011 information on youth aged 12 to 17 (at the time of the offence) in custody and under community supervision in Canada. Data on youth in custody reflect the average daily count of youth residing in a correctional facility on any given day. These data differ from Census data, published on September 19, 2012, which reflect the number of youth who, on May 10, 2011, had been residing in a correctional facility for a minimum of six months. Youth who had been in correctional facilities for less than six months were counted according to their regular place of residence.

Data are drawn from three sources: the Youth Custody and Community Services Survey, the youth component of the Integrated Correctional Services Survey, and the Corrections Key Indicator Report for Youth. The analysis controls for differences in reporting by jurisdiction, which vary depending on the data element being discussed. For full information on coverage, consult the Juristat article.

Definitions, data sources and methods: survey numbers survey number3313 and survey number3323.

The Juristat article "Youth correctional statistics in Canada, 2010/2011" (Catalogue number85-002-X, free) is now available. From the Key resource module of our website under Publications, choose All subjects, then Crime and justice, and Juristat. For information on adult correctional statistics, see "Adult correctional statistics in Canada, 2010/2011".

For more information, or to enquire about the concepts, methods or data quality of this release, contact Statistics Canada's National Contact Centre (toll-free 1-800-263-1136; 613-951-8116; or Media Relations (613-951-4636;