Groups of health care professionals
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
The groups of health care professionals examined in this report are based on the National Occupational Classification (NOC)Note 1 and focus on health occupations (Skill Type 3), except for two groups that are Occupations in education, law, and social, community and government services (Skill Type 4).
- Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses (NOC code 3012)
- General practitioners and family physicians (NOC code 3112)
- Psychologists (NOC code 4151)
- Social workers (NOC code 4152)
- Pharmacists (NOC code 3131)
- Licensed practical nurses (NOC code 3233)
- Paramedical occupations (NOC code 3234)
- Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates (NOC code 3413)
- Other health care professionals—a residual group of health care professionals that includes the following occupations: nursing co-ordinators and supervisors (3011); specialist physicians (3111); dentists (3113); veterinarians (3114); optometrists (3121); chiropractors (3122); allied primary health practitioners (3124); other professional occupations in health diagnosing and treating (3125); dieticians and nutritionists (3132); audiologists and speech-language pathologists (3141); physiotherapists (3142); occupational therapists (3143); other professional occupations in therapy and assessment (3144); medical laboratory technologists (3211); medical laboratory technicians and pathologists’ assistants (3212); animal health technologists and veterinary technicians (3213); respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists (3214); medical radiation technologists (3215); medical sonographers (3216); cardiology technologists and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists, n.e.c. (3217); other medical technologists and technicians (except dental health) (3219); denturists (3221); dental hygienists and dental therapists (3222); dental technologists, technicians and laboratory assistants (3223); opticians (3231); practitioners of natural healing (3232); massage therapists (3236); other technical occupations in therapy and assessment (3237); dental assistants (3411); and other assisting occupations in support of health services (3414).