Statistics Canada - Government of Canada
Accessibility: General informationSkip all menus and go to content.Home - Statistics Canada logo Skip main menu and go to secondary menu. Français 1 of 5 Contact Us 2 of 5 Help 3 of 5 Search the website 4 of 5 Canada Site 5 of 5
Skip secondary menu and go to the module menu. The Daily 1 of 7
Census 2 of 7
Canadian Statistics 3 of 7 Community Profiles 4 of 7 Our Products and Services 5 of 7 Home 6 of 7
Other Links 7 of 7

Warning View the most recent version.

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.

Skip module menu and go to content. Performing arts: data tables Online catalogue Methodology Data tables More information

Performing arts: data tables

These tables provide information on professional performing arts companies in Canada.

Data for 2004 in this publication should not be compared with data released previously on this industry since there have been significant changes to the Performing Arts Survey. 

Data are collected using the Business Register, a central Statistics Canada database of businesses that have been classified using the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS). This industry-based classification is a departure from the activity-based classification used previously by the Culture Statistics Program (CSP).  At the same time, the scope of activities included in the industries classified to this survey has broadened.  

The new Survey of Performing Arts collects data on for-profit as well as not-for-profit performing arts companies in Canada.  Data are collected using a sample, which represents approximately 95% of total revenue earned by performing arts establishments. It also includes a limited set of financial data from administrative sources for institutions whose combined revenues represent the remaining 5% of total industry revenues.

Certain variables are available only for the surveyed units. Since the proportion of surveyed establishments decreased in 2006 compared to 2004, the 2004 survey portion estimates were accordingly adjusted in order to enable comparison between the two survey portions.  The 2004 data in this publication have been revised.

For more information on the revised data, contact Marie Lavallée-Farah (613-951-1571; fax: 613-951-6696;

Home | Search | Contact Us | Français Top of page
Date modified: 2008-06-18 Important Notices