Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
Each level of government attaches priority to different cultural sectors
The federal government concentrated its spending on the culture industries which include broadcasting, film and video industry, literary arts (book and periodical publishing), and sound recording industry. Spending on these industries represented $2.39 billion or 59.7% of total federal expenditures on culture in 2008/2009.
At $1.90 billion, broadcasting accounted for the biggest share (47.4%) of the total federal spending on culture.
The second largest federal funding was allocated to the heritage sector, which includes museums, public archives and national libraries, historic and nature parks, and historic sites. Spending in this sector amounted to $1.14 billion or 28.4% of total federal spending on culture in 2008/2009.
The third largest federal funding was allocated to the arts (which include the performing arts, arts education, and visual arts and crafts). Spending on these activities amounted to $296.2 million or 7.4% of total federal spending on culture in 2008/2009. Performing arts accounted for 6.2% of the total federal spending on culture.
Provincial and territorial governments spent the biggest share (34.1%) of their total cultural expenditures on libraries, which include national, public, school, and university and college libraries, followed by the heritage sector (29.3%), which includes museums, public archives, historic and nature parks, and historic sites.
Libraries dominated in municipal spending on culture, representing 69.1% of total municipal spending on culture in 2008.
Each level of government provides support to culture differently
The federal government devoted $3.25 billion or 81.1% of its total culture budget to operating and capital expenditures on goods and services in 2008/2009. The principal beneficiaries of these expenditures were broadcasting and the heritage sector.
In addition, the federal government distributed $758.4 million in grants, contributions and transfers for culture in 2008/2009. The biggest share went to the film and video industry, followed by the performing arts, and the literary arts (book and periodical publishing).
In contrast, provincial and territorial governments allocated $1.22 billion or 40.2% of their total spending on culture to operating and capital expenditures. The cultural activities that benefited the most were the heritage sector and broadcasting.
Provincial and territorial governments provided $1.82 billion in grants, contributions and transfers for culture in 2008/2009. This represented 59.8% of total spending on culture by provincial and territorial governments. Most of this financial aid went to libraries, the heritage sector, and the performing arts.
Municipal governments devoted 85.4% of their total cultural budget to current expenditures, and the remaining 14.6% to capital spending 1 .
Note to readers: All values are in current dollars, unless noted otherwise. In certain cases, federal data from 2003/2004 to 2007/2008, and provincial and territorial data from 2004/2005 to 2007/2008 have been revised. For 2008/2009 data, federal and provincial/territorial expenditures are for the period between April 1, 2008 and March 31, 2009. Municipal expenditures cover the period between January 1 and December 31, 2008.
- Date modified: