Warning View the most recent version.

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.

Neighbourhood characteristics and the distribution of crime in Edmonton

The City of Edmonton, which is the focus of this study, lies at the centre of the CMA and covers 684 square kilometres. In 2001, the city had a population of 666,104. The geographic area of the City of Edmonton is entirely served by the Edmonton Police Service, which in 2001 was made up of 1,194 officers distributed among 4 divisions and 12 community police stations (Filyer 2002). [Full text]

Neighbourhood characteristics and the distribution of crime in Halifax

In 2001, the Halifax Regional Municipality was serviced by two police detachments. The Halifax Regional Police was responsible for policing the urban core of the municipality, which was divided into three divisional areas: Peninsular Halifax (Central Division), Bedford to Sambro Loop (West Division) and Dartmouth (East Division). These three areas accounted for 56% of the municipality. The remaining 44% was serviced by the Halifax County Rural RCMP detachment and was made up of the following areas: Sheet Harbour, Musquodoboit Harbour, Cole Harbour, Tantallon and Lower Sackville. This study focuses on the portion of the Halifax Regional Municipality that was policed by the Halifax Regional Police, which covers approximately 160 square kilometres divided into 51 census tracts (CTs), and had a population of 191,514 in 2001. [Full text]

Neighbourhood characteristics and the distribution of crime in Thunder Bay

The City of Thunder Bay, which is the focus of this study, is situated at the centre of the CMA that bears its name. In 2001, it had a population of 109,000, distributed over an area of approximately 325 square kilometres divided into 209 neighbourhoods or dissemination areas, which gives it a density of 332 inhabitants per square kilometre. This area is entirely served by the Thunder Bay Police Service. In 2001, the service had 212 officers distributed among 11 neighbourhood stations and a headquarter (Logan, 2002). [Full text]


The research findings for Edmonton, Halifax and Thunder Bay show that crime is not distributed randomly in urban areas, but is instead concentrated in particular neighbourhoods, especially those in city centres. In Edmonton, Halifax and Thunder Bay, the spatial distribution of property crime is, despite some differences, strongly related to that of violent crimes. [Full text]