Appendix Table A
Criteria for defining migraine
|International Headache Society||Statistics Canada|
|International Classification of Headache Disorders (ICHD), 3rd edition||2010/2011 Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS) Neurological Conditions||2011 Survey of Living with Neurological Conditions in Canada (SLNCC)|
At least five attacks fufilling criteria B to D
Headche attacks lasting 4 to 72 hours (untreated or unsuccessfully treated)
|Now I'd like to ask about neurological conditions, which are conditions that affect the brain, spinal cord, nerves or muscles. Please do not include mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety disorder or schizophrenia. We are interested in conditions which are expected to last or have already lasted six months or more and have been diagnosed by a doctor or other health professional.||Now, I'd like to ask some questions about neurological conditions, which are conditions that affect the brain, spinal cord, nerves or muscles. We are interested in conditions which are expected to last or have already lasted six months or more and have been diagnosed by a doctor or other health professional.|
Headache has at least two of following four characteristics:
1. unilateral location
2. pulsating quality
3. moderate or severe pain intensity
4. aggravation by or causing avoidence of routine physical activity (for example, walking or climbing stairs)
|Do you have migraine headaches?||To begin, do you have migraine headaches that have been diagnosed by a health professional?|
During headache at least one of following:
1. nausea and/or vomiting
2. photophobia and phonophobia
Not better accounted for by another ICHD-3 diagnosis
|Who has this condition?||Positive response to at least two of the following questions:
In the past 12 months:
• did you have a headache where you felt nauseated or sick to your stomach?
• did light bother you when you had a headache (a lot more than when you did not have a headache)?
• did your headache limit your ability to work, study, or do what you needed to do for at least one day?
- Date modified: