Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
1. Springer KW, Sheridan J, Kuo D, Carnes M. Long-term physical and mental health consequences of childhood physical abuse: Results from a large population-based sample of men and women. Child Abuse and Neglect 2007; 31: 517-30.
2. Batten SV, Aslan M, Maciejewski PK, Mazure CM. Childhood maltreatment as a risk factor for adult cardiovascular disease and depression. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2004; 65(2): 249-54.
3. Draper B, Pfaff JJ, Pirkis J, et al. Long-term effects of childhood abuse on the quality of life and health of older people: Results from the Depression and Early Prevention of Suicide in General Practice project. Journal of the American Geriatric Society 2008; 56(2): 262-71.
4. Felitti VJ, Anda RF, Nordenberg D, et al. Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults: The Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 1998; 14(4): 245-58.
5. Dube SR, Anda RF, Felitti VJ, et al. Growing up with parental alcohol abuse: Exposure to childhood abuse, neglect, and household dysfunction. Child Abuse and Neglect 2001; 25: 1627-40.
6. Harter SL. Psychosocial adjustment of adult children of alcoholics: A review of the recent empirical literature. Clinical Psychology Review 2000; 20(3): 311-37.
7. Hussong AM, Bauer DJ, Huang W, et al. Characterizing the life stressors of children of alcoholic parents. Journal of Family Psychology 2008, 22(6): 819-32.
8. McGee R, Williams S, Poulton R, Moffitt T. A longitudinal study on cannabis use and mental health from adolescence to early adulthood. Addiction 2000; 95(4): 491-503.
9. Christofferen MN, Soothill K. The long-term consequences of parental alcohol abuse: A cohort study of children in Denmark. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 2003; 25: 107-16.
10. Bush SI, Ballard ME, Fremouw W. Attributional style, depressive features, and self-esteem: Adult children of alcoholic and non-alcoholic parents. Journal of Youth and Adolescence 1995; 24(2): 177-85.
11. Klostermann K, Chen R, Kelley ML, et al. Coping behavior and depressive symptoms in adult children of alcoholics. Substance Use and Misuse 2011; 46: 1162-8.
12. Russ TC, Stamatakis E, Hamer M, et al. Association between psychological distress and mortality: Individual participant pooled analysis of 10 prospective cohort studies. British Medical Journal 2012; 345: e4933.
13. Swain L, Catlin G, Beaudet MP. The National Population Health Survey—its longitudinal nature. Health Reports 1999; 10(4): 69-82.
14. Tambay J-L, Catlin G. Sample design of the National Population Health Survey. Health Reports 1995; 7(1): 29-38.
15. Kessler RC, Andrews G, Colpe LJ, et al. Short screening scales to monitor population prevalences and trends in non-specific psychological distress. Psychological Medicine 2002; 32: 959-76.
16. Sherbourne CD, Stewart AL. The MOS social support survey. Social Science and Medicine 1991; 32(6): 705-14.
17. Singer JD, Willett JB. Applied Longitudinal Data Analysis: Modeling Change and Event Occurrence. New York: Oxford University Press, 2003.
18. Green KM, Zebrak KA, Robertson JA, et al. Interrelationship of substance use and psychological distress over the life course among a cohort of urban African Americans. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2012; 123: 239-48.
19. Yeo D, Mantel H, Liu TP. Bootstrap variance estimation for the National Population Health Survey. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the American Statistical Association: Survey Research Methods Section. American Statistical Association: Baltimore, August 1999.
20. Jorm AF, Reavley NJ. Changes in psychological distress in Australian adults between 1995 and 2011. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 2012; 46(4): 352-6.
21. Mawani F, Gilmour H. Validation of self-rated mental health. Health Reports 2010; 21(3): 1-15.
22. Charles ST, Carstensen LL. Social and emotional aging. Annual Reviews in Psychology 2009; 61: 383-409.
23. Charles ST, Mather M, Carstensen LL. Aging and emotional memory: The forgettable nature of negative images for older adults. Journal of Experimental Psychology 2003; 132(2): 310-24.
24. Hall CW, Webster RE. Traumatic symptomatology characteristics of adult children of alcoholics. Journal of Drug Education 2002; 32(3): 195-211.
- Date modified: