Number of degrees, diplomas and certificates granted by universities, by program type, Canada, 2000 to 20081
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
|Bachelor's and other undergraduate degree2||Other undergraduate3||Master's||Earned doctorate||Other graduate4||College certificate or diploma and other college level5||Trade/ vocational and preparatory training certificate or diploma||All programs|
|.. not available for a specific reference period
1. Due to the revision of the institutions included in the PSIS survey, the following were not included in the 2008 data for Canada: in Ontario, Institut de pastorale des Dominicains, Tyndale University College and Seminary, Redeemer University College, Royal Military College of Canada; in Alberta, Newman Theological College; in British Columbia, Vancouver School of Theology, Trinity Western University, and Seminary of Christ the King.
The following institutions, previously colleges, now have the status of universities and are included in the 2008 completion counts for British Columbia: Capilano University, Vancouver Island University, Emily Carr University of Art and Design, Kwantlen Polytechnic University and University of the Fraser Valley. The increase in credentials awarded by universities in Canada in 2008, the majority of which were certificates and diplomas granted at the college and trade/vocational level, was entirely due to the attribution of university status to these five colleges.
2. "Bachelor's and other undergraduate degree" includes bachelor degrees, first professional degrees and applied degrees.
3. "Other undergraduate" includes university preliminary year or pre-bachelor, undergraduate certificate or diploma, license undergraduate and licentiate or testamur.
4. "Other graduate" includes master's qualifying year, university graduate certificate or diploma, PhD qualifying year or probationary, internship (postgraduate medical education known as post-MD) and residency (medical, dental, veterinary).
5. "Other college level" includes the college post-diploma programs and the collaborative degree programs.
Notes: To ensure the confidentiality of responses, all counts are randomly rounded to a multiple of 3. Since the total and subtotals are independently rounded, the total values may not match the sum of the individual values.
All counts reflect the number of graduates in the calendar year.
Qualifications awarded since 2005 are not available for the University of Regina. For Quebec institutions, qualifications awarded do not include micro programs and attestations.
These figures reflect trade/vocational and college level diplomas and certificates granted by universities, not colleges. Please see Table D.2.5 for the number of diplomas and degrees granted by colleges.
All PSIS data are subject to revision.
For a brief description of this indicator, including the methodology, please see the Handbook for the Pan-Canadian Education Indicators Program.
Source: Statistics Canada, Postsecondary Student Information System, CANSIM Table 477-0014, published July 14, 2010.
Updated December 13, 2010.
- Date modified: