A Profile of Canadian Importers
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
This issue presents statistics, derived from the Importer Register Database, on importing establishments for the years 2002 to 2009. This is a follow-up to the Importer Register Database issue containing data on the year 2002 to 20071.
This issue continues to provide information on the number of importers and the value of their imports by industry (North American Industry Classification System-NAICS), importer size, province of residence, country of origin, and employment size (2009 only).
As in previous issues, the establishment is the statistical unit of measure. Consequently, any reference made here to "importers" represents "statistical establishments that imported." Inclusion in the database requires that an establishment has imported merchandise in at least one year from 2002 to 2008. If an establishment does not import in a given year, that establishment is not included in the database for that year.
This report is divided into four sections:
- "Highlights" consist of an overview of results of the 2009 Importer Register Database;
- "Findings" contains more detailed analyses of this database;
- "Methodology, data concepts and definitions" outlines the data linkage methods and limitations, as well as the fundamental principles of this database; and
- "Data tables" contain tabular data for the years from 2002 to 2009.
- Statistics Canada catalogue no. 65-507-M, June 2010.