Warning View the most recent version.

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.

  1. Operating revenue in the consulting services industry dipped to $12.7 billion in 2009 from $12.8 billion in 2008. This year-over-year decline of -0.8% follows four years of annual growth above 8 %.
  2. Consulting services in this survey comprises firms that are primarily engaged in providing expert advice and assistance to other organizations on management, environmental, and other scientific and technical issues. Management consulting services accounted for 69.8% share of industry revenue, while environmental with other scientific and technical consulting services made up the remaining 30.2%.
  3. In 2009, the operating revenue for management consulting services grew less than 1% over 2008. Environmental and other scientific and technical consulting services saw year- over- year revenue fall by -4.2%.
  4. While total operating revenues decreased, so too did total operating expenses, down 0.6% to $10.1 billion in 2009. The largest expense in this knowledge- intensive industry was labour costs, accounting for 63.7% of total operating expense. Labour costs include salaries, wages and benefits, subcontract expense, professional business service fees and commissions paid to non employees.
  5. The operating profit margin of firms in consulting services stood at 20.6%, down slightly from 20.8% in 2008.
  6. Operating revenue in management consulting services decreased in Ontario (-1.1%), Alberta (-0.4%), and Quebec (-2.5%), while British Columbia registered modest growth (+1.7%) from 2008 to 2009.