Monthly Aircraft Movements: Small airports - Airports without NAV CANADA Towers or Flight Service Stations, January 2017
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
Take-offs and landings at 114 Canadian airports without air traffic control towers reached a total of 30,523 movements in January. Ten airports accounted for 39% of the month’s activity: Peterborough, Ontario (2,077 movements), Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador (2,063), Red Lake, Ontario (1,363), Comox, British Columbia (1,347), Pickle Lake, Ontario (1,082), Moosonee, Ontario (886), Trois-Rivières, Quebec (812), Island Lake, Manitoba (810), St. Theresa Point, Manitoba (770) and Drummondville, Quebec (715).
Total aircraft movements for the 111 airports for which year-over-year comparisons were possible decreased from 32,329 to 29,911 in January 2017 as 69 airports reported fewer movements. The largest declines were recorded at the following airports: Moosonee (-575 movements), Trois-Rivières (-349) and Tillsonburg, Ontario (-299). Among those airports with increases, the largest gains were reported at Drummondville (+340) and Goose Bay (+270).
In January 2017, there were 23,354 itinerant movements (flights from one airport to another) reported by 95 airports with Goose Bay (2,063 movements) and Comox (1,347) recording the largest numbers.
Thirty-nine airports reported 5,256 local movements (flights that remain in the vicinity of the airport). Peterborough remained the most active site with 1,853 take-offs and landings, representing 35% of the total local movements reported.
Factors which may have influenced the data
1. Aggregate data only are available for the following 19 airports reported by Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation:
- Berens River
- Bloodvein River
- Cross Lake
- God’s Lake Narrows
- God’s River
- Lac Brochet
- Little Grand Rapids
- Oxford House
- Poplar River
- Red Sucker Lake
- South Indian Lake
- Tadoule Lake
- Thicket Portage
- York Landing
2. Aggregate data only are available for the following 12 airports reported by the Kativik Regional Government in Quebec:
3. Aggregate data only are available for Tillsonburg, Ontario.
4. When comparing monthly data for current year versus previous year, please note that:
- a) Data for the following airports were included in the report for January 2016 but were not available at the time of the release of this report.
Fort Good Hope, Northwest Territories
Gjoa Haven, Nunavut
Watson Lake, Yukon
- b) Data for the following airports were included in January 2017 but not in January 2016.
Aklavik, Northwest Territories
Fort Frances Municipal, Ontario
Havre St. Pierre, Quebec