The changing landscape of Canadian metropolitan areas
Greater Sudbury, Ontario
- At the CMA level, built-up area increased from 85 km2 in 1971 to 269 km2 in 2011, an increase of 215%.
- At the CMA-E level, built-up area increased from 152 km2 in 1971 to 624 km2 in 2011, an increase of 311%.
- In 2011, the natural and semi-natural land class was divided into forest (69%), water (13%) and other (17%).
- From 1971 to 2011, 40 km2 of arable land and 259 km2 of natural and semi-natural land were lost to settled area.
- Of the natural and semi-natural land converted to settled area from 1971 to 2011, 70.4% was forest, 6.2% was natural land for pasture and 23.4% was classed as other.
- Population in the CMA decreased by 6% from 170,271 to 160,770 between 1971 and 2011.
- The number of dwellings in the CMA increased by 70% from 42,864 to 72,736 between 1971 and 2011.
Start of text box
End of text box
- Date modified: