The changing landscape of Canadian metropolitan areas
Abbotsford–Mission, British Columbia
- At the CMA level, built-up area increased from 18 km2 in 1971 to 139 km2 in 2011, an increase of 669%.
- At the CMA-E level, built-up area increased from 60 km2 in 1971 to 382 km2 in 2011, an increase of 537%.
- In 2011, the natural and semi-natural land class was divided into forest (81%), water (7%) and other (12%).
- From 1971 to 2011, 109 km2 of arable land and 130 km2 of natural and semi-natural land were lost to settled area.
- Of the natural and semi-natural land converted to settled area from 1971 to 2011, 66.8% was forest, 29.5% was natural land for pasture and 3.7% was classed as other.
- Population in the CMA increased by 309% from 41,602 to 170,191 between 1971 and 2011.
- The number of dwellings in the CMA increased by 441% from 11,799 to 63,821 between 1971 and 2011.
Start of text box
End of text box
- Date modified: