EnviroStats, Fall 2007

Warning View the most recent version.

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.

In this issue

Latest indicators
2005 to 2006
percentage change


Gross domestic product
April 2007 to May 2007
percentage change


Greenhouse gas emissions
2004 to 2005
percentage change


Particulate matter  (PM2.5)
2000 to 2004

No significant trend

Ground-level ozone
1990 to 2004
median percent change per year



A demand perspective on greenhouse gas emissions

Joe St. Lawrence

This article provides an analysis of greenhouse gas emissions from a demand perspective. The analysis is based on the greenhouse gas emissions accounts and input-output accounts produced at Statistics Canada. It shows that domestic requirements for goods and services led to 54% of Canadian industrial emissions, while production to satisfy exports accounted for the remaining 46%. Between 1990 and 2002, emissions associated with domestic demand grew slowly at 0.4% while those associated with the production of goods for export grew by 50%. [Full article in HTML]

Canadian lawns and gardens: Where are they the "greenest"?

Mary-Frances Lynch and Nancy Hofmann

Managing lawns and gardens is a popular activity that takes on different forms across Canada. Statistics from the Households and the Environment Survey show that regional differences create a diversity of lawn and garden practices. Specifically, this study looks at how the application of pesticides and fertilizers and the use of outdoor water conservation devices vary. [Full article in HTML]

Heavy fuel oil consumption in Canada

Paul McPhie and Anthony Caouette

This article examines trends in the use of heavy fuel oil in Canada at the industrial and provincial levels between 1990 and 2005, mostly using data from the Report on Energy Supply-Demand in Canada (Catalogue no. 57-003). [Full article in HTML]

The cost of water in the manufacturing sector

François Soulard and Andy Shinnan

Data from the Industrial Water Survey are mapped, showing how the cost of acquiring water varies across the country. [Full article in HTML]


Read about recent and upcoming releases, and new activities in the areas of environmental and sustainable development statistics. [Full article in HTML]

You need to use the free Adobe Reader to view PDF documents. To view (open) these files, simply click on the link. To download (save) them, right-click on the link. Note that if you are using Internet Explorer or AOL, PDF documents sometimes do not open properly. See Troubleshooting PDFs. PDF documents may not be accessible by some devices. For more information, visit the Adobe website or contact us for assistance.