The Daily
|
 In the news  Indicators  Releases by subject
 Special interest  Release schedule  Information

Repair and maintenance services, 2017

Released: 2019-01-31

Firms in the repair and maintenance subsector generated $29.8 billion in operating revenue in 2017, up 4.6% from $28.5 billion in 2016. Operating profit margins increased from 8.1% in 2016 to 9.0% in 2017.

The repair and maintenance services subsector includes three main industry groups. The automotive repair and maintenance services industry group generated 61.7% of the subsector's operating revenue in 2017. The other two groups, electronic and precision equipment repair and maintenance services, and commercial and industrial machinery and equipment repair and maintenance services, accounted for the remaining 38.3%.

Automotive repair and maintenance services

Businesses in automotive repair and maintenance generated $18.4 billion in sales during 2017, up 4.2% over the previous year. Operating expenses rose 3.2% to $16.8 billion, leading to an 8.5% profit margin.

Among the provinces, Manitoba (+8.3%) and Quebec (+7.5%) posted the largest increases in operating revenue. Businesses in Alberta reported a 2.6% increase, following a 3.6% decline in 2016. The four provinces with the largest proportion of the industry group's total operating revenue were Ontario (36.4%), Quebec (20.4%), Alberta (15.9%) and British Columbia (14.1%).

The largest operating expense item of the automotive repair and maintenance industry group was the cost of goods sold, which represented 41.4% of the group's total operating expenses. Salary, wages and benefits was the second largest operating expense at 30.5%, followed by rental and leasing at 5.6%.

The majority of sales of the automotive repair and maintenance group were to individuals and households (62.2%), followed by sales to businesses (34.3%).

Electronic and precision equipment and commercial and industrial machinery and equipment repair and maintenance services

Firms in electronic and precision equipment and commercial and industrial machinery and equipment repair and maintenance earned $11.4 billion in 2017, up 5.3% from the previous year. Operating expenses rose to $10.3 billion, leading to a profit margin of 9.7% in 2017.

At the provincial level, the four provinces with the largest share of total operating revenue for the industry group were Alberta (34.0%), Ontario (25.6%), Quebec (17.3%) and British Columbia (11.9%). Firms in Alberta earned $3.9 billion in 2017, up 7.4% over the previous year. In 2016, firms in Alberta reported a 6.4% decline.

The largest operating expense of these industry groups was the cost of goods sold, which represented 36.4% of operating expenses. Salary, wages and benefits was the second largest component of operating expenses at 32.9%.

The majority of sales of these industry groups were to businesses (83.3%), followed by sales to individuals and households (8.0%).

  Note to readers

Data for 2016 have been revised.

Contact information

For more information, or to enquire about the concepts, methods or data quality of this release, contact us (toll-free 1-800-263-1136; 514-283-8300; STATCAN.infostats-infostats.STATCAN@canada.ca) or Media Relations (613-951-4636; STATCAN.mediahotline-ligneinfomedias.STATCAN@canada.ca).

Date modified: