Crude oil and natural gas: Supply and disposition, November 2017
In November, production of crude oil and equivalent products rose 4.1% from the same month a year earlier to 21.5 million cubic metres (135.3 million barrels).
Crude oil production
Increases in non-upgraded production of crude bitumen (+10.8%), light and medium (+7.1%) and heavy (+0.9%) crude oil were partially offset by a decrease in synthetic crude (-11.0%). Due to scheduled maintenance at an Alberta upgrader, November marked the third consecutive month with year-over-year decreases in synthetic crude oil production.
Production of conventional and non-conventional crude oil
In November, crude oil production (excluding equivalent products) totalled 19.8 million cubic metres. Non-conventional crude oil production, which consists of non-upgraded crude bitumen and synthetic crude oil, increased 1.4% from the same month a year earlier to 13.7 million cubic metres.
Conventional production of light, medium and heavy crude oils rose 5.0% to 6.1 million cubic metres in November, following a 3.2% year-over-year increase in October.
Alberta produced 17.4 million cubic metres of crude oil and equivalent products in November, up 4.5% from the previous year, and accounted for 81.0% of total Canadian production. Saskatchewan (11.4%) and Newfoundland and Labrador (5.1%) were also key producing provinces.
Refinery use of crude oil
Input of crude oil to Canadian refineries totalled 8.2 million cubic metres in November, up 6.7% from the same month a year earlier. Conventional crude oil accounted for 67.0% of the total, while non-conventional represented the remaining 33.0%. Light and medium (4.5 million cubic metres) and synthetic (2.3 million cubic metres) crude oil were the main types of crude oil used by Canadian refineries.
Exports and imports
Exports of crude oil and equivalent products were down 7.9% from November 2016 to 15.0 million cubic metres. The decrease was attributable to a pipeline leak in the United States. The vast majority of exports (88.8%) were transported via pipelines to the United States, while exports by other means (including rail, truck, and marine) to the United States accounted for 10.5%. The remaining 0.7% of exports went to countries other than the United States.
Imports to Canadian refineries were down 6.8% to 2.6 million cubic metres.
Closing inventories of crude oil and equivalent products were down 3.5% from the same month a year earlier to 18.7 million cubic metres in November. The total consisted of transporters (down 0.1% to 12.3 million cubic metres), refineries (down 9.3% to 3.8 million cubic metres) and fields and plants (down 9.3% to 2.7 million cubic metres).
Natural gas production
Marketable natural gas production in Canada totalled 14.5 billion cubic metres in November, up 9.3% from the same month a year earlier. Canadian production of natural gas was concentrated in Alberta (71.0%) and British Columbia (26.8%).
Additional information on natural gas is available in "Natural gas transmission, storage and distribution," published in The Daily on January 23, 2017.
Note to readers
As of the March 2016 reference month, content and methodology changes were made to the Monthly Oil and Other Liquid Petroleum Products Pipeline Survey. For more information, consult the document Monthly Oil and Other Liquid Petroleum Products Pipeline Survey.
Data on crude oil and equivalent products, previously found in CANSIM table 126-0001, are now published in CANSIM table 126-0003. While CANSIM table 126-0001 will remain available for reference, users should exercise caution when comparing data with those of the new CANSIM table.
Information on the disposition of crude oil and equivalent products to refineries by province and on exports to the United States by district were discontinued. New data on imports, exports, input to Canadian refineries and inventories were added to CANSIM table 126-0003.
Data from March 2016 to October 2017 have been revised.
Crude oil and equivalent products include heavy, light and medium crude oil, synthetic crude oil, crude bitumen, condensate, and pentanes plus.
Export data are a combination of National Energy Board data and survey respondents' data.
Import data include imports of crude oil by refineries and by others.
Total marketable gas includes receipts from fields, gas gathering systems and/or gas plants.
The crude oil and natural gas supply and disposition program uses respondent data as well as administrative data provided by federal, provincial and territorial authorities with regulatory responsibilities within their respective jurisdictions.
For more information, or to enquire about the concepts, methods or data quality of this release, contact us (toll-free 1-800-263-1136; 514-283-8300; STATCAN.infostats-infostats.STATCAN@canada.ca) or Media Relations (613-951-4636; STATCAN.mediahotline-ligneinfomedias.STATCAN@canada.ca).
- Date modified: