Repair and maintenance services, 2016
View the most recent version.
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
The repair and maintenance services subsector earned $27.9 billion in operating revenue in 2016, down 0.4% from $28.0 billion in 2015. Operating profit margins fell from 9.1% in 2015 to 8.3% in 2016.
The repair and maintenance services subsector includes three main industry groups. Automotive repair and maintenance accounted for 62.2% of total operating revenue for the subsector. The remaining two groups, electronic and precision equipment repair and maintenance and commercial and industrial machinery and equipment, accounted for the remaining 37.8%.
Automotive repair and maintenance services
The automotive repair and maintenance service industry group generated $17.3 billion in operating revenue in 2016, up 1.5% from a year earlier. The industry group had operating expenses of $16.0 billion, an increase of 1.5% from 2015. The operating profit margin was 7.7% for the second consecutive year.
At the provincial level, Prince Edward Island (+7.0%) had the largest percentage increase in operating revenue, while Alberta had the largest decrease (-3.6%). Operating revenue for the industry group was primarily concentrated in Ontario (36.3%), Quebec (20.0%), Alberta (16.5%) and British Columbia (13.9%).
The largest expense item for the automotive repair and maintenance services industry group was cost of goods sold (41.0%) followed by salaries, wages and benefits (29.0%).
The majority of the sales of the industry group were to individuals and households (59.8%), followed by businesses (36.6%).
Electronic and precision equipment and commercial and industrial machinery, and equipment repair and maintenance services
The electronic and precision equipment and commercial and industrial machinery and equipment repair and maintenance services industry groups earned a combined $10.6 billion in 2016, down 3.4% from 2015. The operating expenses for these industry groups decreased by 1.0%, leading to a combined operating profit margin of 9.1%, down from 11.2% in 2015.
At the provincial level, operating revenue decreased the most in Alberta (-11.7%). Some factors underlying this contraction were the lower price of crude energy products (see the Raw Materials Price Index) and the Fort McMurray wildfire. Despite a second consecutive year of lower operating revenue, firms located in Alberta accounted for the largest share of overall operating revenue at 32.2%. Firms in Ontario accounted for 26.0% of operating revenue, followed by Quebec (17.6%) and British Columbia (12.6%). The remaining provinces accounted for 11.6%.
The largest expense item for the industry groups was cost of goods sold (36.8%) followed by salaries, wages and benefits (32.8%).
The majority of the sales of these industry groups were to businesses (85.6%), followed by individuals and households (5.7%).
Note to readers
The repair and maintenance services survey includes three industry groups: automotive repair and maintenance services, electronic and precision equipment repair services, and commercialand industrial machinery and equipment repair services.
Data for 2015 have been revised.
For more information, or to enquire about the concepts, methods or data quality of this release, contact us (toll-free 1-800-263-1136; 514-283-8300; STATCAN.infostats-infostats.STATCAN@canada.ca) or Media Relations (613-951-4636; STATCAN.mediahotline-ligneinfomedias.STATCAN@canada.ca).