The Daily
 In the news  Indicators  Releases by subject
 Special interest  Release schedule  Information

Crude oil and natural gas: Supply and disposition, July 2017

Warning View the most recent version.

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.

Released: 2017-10-18

Canada produced 20.7 million cubic metres (130.2 million barrels) of crude oil and equivalent products in July, up 9.1% compared with the same month in 2016. Production in July reached the second highest level on record, following January 2017 (21.2 million cubic metres).

Chart 1  Chart 1: Production of crude oil and equivalent products
Production of crude oil and equivalent products

Crude oil production

Higher production of crude oil and equivalent products in July was primarily attributable to a 5.3% increase in non-upgraded production of crude bitumen to 8.1 million cubic metres. Also up in July were the production of synthetic crude oil (+16.1%) and light and medium crude oil (+13.4%). Meanwhile, heavy crude oil production decreased 2.7% to 1.9 million cubic metres.

Non-upgraded crude bitumen production in July consisted of mined crude bitumen (up 13.9% to 6.6 million cubic metres), plus in situ crude bitumen (up 8.3% to 7.5 million cubic metres), minus crude bitumen sent for further processing (up 19.3% to 6.0 million cubic metres).

Production of non-conventional crude oil rises

Crude oil production (excluding equivalent products) totalled 19.1 million cubic metres in July. Non-conventional crude oil production, which consists of non-upgraded crude bitumen and synthetic crude oil, increased 9.3% to 13.3 million cubic metres.

Meanwhile, conventional crude production of light, medium and heavy crude oils rose 7.6% to 5.9 million cubic metres in July.

Provincial production

Alberta produced 16.8 million cubic metres of crude oil and equivalent products, up 9.0% from July 2016 and accounted for 81.2% of total Canadian production. Saskatchewan (11.2%) and Newfoundland and Labrador (5.3%) were also key contributors.

Refinery use of crude oil

Input of crude oil to Canadian refineries totalled 9.0 million cubic metres in July, up 4.0% from the same month a year earlier. Conventional crude oil accounted for 66.0% of the total, while non-conventional represented the remaining 34.0%. Light and medium crude oil (4.9 million cubic metres) and synthetic crude oil (2.4 million cubic metres) were the main types of crude oil used by Canadian refineries.

Exports and imports

Exports of crude oil and equivalent products were up 17.3% to 16.1 million cubic metres in July from the same month in 2016. The vast majority of exports (90.3%) were transported via pipelines to the United States, while exports by other means (including rail, truck, and marine) to the US accounted for the remaining 9.7%. There were no exports to foreign countries other than the United States.

Over the same period, imports to Canadian refineries decreased 8.6% to 3.2 million cubic metres.

Chart 2  Chart 2: Exports and imports of crude oil and equivalent products
Exports and imports of crude oil and equivalent products

Closing inventories

Closing inventories of crude oil and equivalent products edged up 0.6% to 18.8 million cubic metres in July, compared with the same month in 2016. The total was comprised of refineries (up 8.5% to 4.2 million cubic metres), transporters (down 0.4% to 12.0 million cubic metres), and fields and plants (down 6.0% to 2.7 million cubic metres).

Natural gas production

Marketable natural gas production in Canada totalled 13.7 billion cubic metres in July, up 2.4% from the same month in 2016. Alberta (75.1%) and British Columbia (22.5%) continued to account for most of Canadian production.

Additional information on natural gas is available in "Natural gas transmission, storage and distribution," published in The Daily on September 22, 2017.

  Note to readers

As of the March 2016 reference month, content and methodology changes were made to the Monthly Oil and Other Liquid Petroleum Products Pipeline Survey. For more information, consult the Monthly Oil and Other Liquid Petroleum Products Pipeline Survey.

Data on crude oil and equivalent products, previously found in CANSIM table 126-0001, are now published in CANSIM table 126-0003. While CANSIM table 126-0001 will remain available for reference, users should exercise caution when comparing data with those of the new CANSIM table.

Information on the disposition of crude oil and equivalent products to refineries by province and on exports to the United States by district were discontinued. New data on imports, exports, input to Canadian refineries and inventories were added to CANSIM table 126-0003.

Data from January 2016 to June 2017 have been revised.

Crude oil and equivalent products include heavy, light and medium crude oil, synthetic crude oil, crude bitumen, condensate, and pentanes plus.

Export data are a combination of National Energy Board data and survey respondents' data.

Import data include imports of crude oil by refineries and by others.

Total marketable gas includes receipts from fields, gas gathering systems and/or gas plants.

The crude oil and natural gas supply and disposition program uses respondent data as well as administrative data provided by federal, provincial and territorial authorities with regulatory responsibilities within their respective jurisdictions.

Contact information

For more information, or to enquire about the concepts, methods or data quality of this release, contact us (toll-free 1-800-263-1136; 514-283-8300; or Media Relations (613-951-4636;

Report a problem on this page

Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?

Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.

Privacy notice

Date modified: