The Daily
|
 In the news  Indicators  Releases by subject
 Special interest  Release schedule  Information

Crude oil and natural gas: Supply and disposition, June 2017

Released: 2017-09-15

Canada produced 19.1 million cubic metres (120.3 million barrels) of crude oil and equivalent products in June, up 21.9% compared with the same month in 2016.

Chart 1  Chart 1: Production of crude oil and equivalent products
Production of crude oil and equivalent products

Crude oil production

In June 2016, production fell in the wake of the Fort McMurray wildfire. As a result, the production of synthetic crude oil was up 64.8% to 4.6 million cubic metres in June 2017, while non-upgraded bitumen production rose 14.2% to 7.3 million cubic metres. Additionally, the production of light and medium crude oil increased 16.2% to 3.9 million cubic metres, while heavy crude oil decreased 0.3% to 1.9 million cubic metres.

Provincial production

Alberta produced 15.3 million cubic metres of crude oil and equivalent products, up 23.8% from June 2016 and accounted for 79.7% of total Canadian production. Saskatchewan (12.0%) and Newfoundland and Labrador (6.0%) were also key contributors.

Refinery use of crude oil

Input of crude oil to Canadian refineries totalled 8.6 million cubic metres in June, up 15.2% from the same month a year earlier. Conventional crude oil accounted for 68.1% of the total, while non-conventional represented the remaining 31.9%. Light and medium crude oil (4.9 million cubic metres) and synthetic crude oil (2.2 million cubic metres) were the main types of crude oil used by Canadian refineries.

Exports and imports

Exports of crude oil and equivalent products were up 17.8% from June 2016 to 15.7 million cubic metres in June. Imports to Canadian refineries rose 15.9% to 3.4 million cubic metres.

Closing inventories

Closing inventories of crude oil and equivalent products were down 1.2% to 17.7 million cubic metres in June compared with the same month in 2016. The total was comprised of transporters (-0.6% to 11.3 million cubic metres), refineries (+1.3% to 3.8 million cubic metres) and fields and plants (-6.8% to 2.6 million cubic metres).

Quarterly changes in crude oil

Crude oil and equivalents production rose 18.2% to 56.4 million cubic metres in the second quarter from the same quarter of 2016. The sharp increase in quarterly production in 2017 was attributable to the Fort McMurray wildfire in 2016 and its impact on the energy sector. Over the same period, exports rose 17.8% to 48.8 million cubic metres, while imports increased by 4.4% to 9.7 million cubic metres.

Natural gas production

Marketable natural gas production in Canada totalled 12.9 billion cubic metres in June, up 0.4% from the same month in 2016. Alberta (76.2%) and British Columbia (21.2%) accounted for most of Canadian production.

Additional information on natural gas is available in "Natural gas transmission, storage and distribution," published in The Daily on August 23, 2017.

Quarterly changes in natural gas

Production of natural gas rose by 4.9% from the second quarter of 2016 to 40.4 billion cubic metres in the second quarter.

  Note to readers

As of the March 2016 reference month, content and methodology changes were made to the Monthly Oil and Other Liquid Petroleum Products Pipeline Survey. For more information, consult the Monthly Oil and Other Liquid Petroleum Products Pipeline Survey.

Data on crude oil and equivalent products, previously found in CANSIM table 126-0001, are now published in CANSIM table 126-0003. While CANSIM table 126-0001 will remain available for reference, users should exercise caution when comparing data with those of the new CANSIM table.

Information on the disposition of crude oil and equivalent products to refineries by province and on exports to the United States by district were discontinued. New data on imports, exports, input to Canadian refineries and inventories were added to CANSIM table 126-0003.

Data are subject to revision.

Crude oil and equivalent products include heavy, light and medium crude oil, synthetic crude oil, crude bitumen, condensate, and pentanes plus.

Export data are a combination of National Energy Board data and survey respondents' data.

Import data include imports of crude oil by refineries and by others.

Total marketable gas includes receipts from fields, gas gathering systems and/or gas plants.

The crude oil and natural gas supply and disposition program uses respondent data as well as administrative data provided by federal, provincial and territorial authorities with regulatory responsibilities within their respective jurisdictions.

Contact information

For more information, or to enquire about the concepts, methods or data quality of this release, contact us (toll-free 1-800-263-1136; 514-283-8300; STATCAN.infostats-infostats.STATCAN@canada.ca) or Media Relations (613-951-4636; STATCAN.mediahotline-ligneinfomedias.STATCAN@canada.ca).

Date modified: