The Daily
|
 In the news  Indicators  Releases by subject
 Special interest  Release schedule  Information

Crude oil and natural gas: Supply and disposition, April 2017

Released: 2017-07-12

Canada produced 18.0 million cubic metres (113.2 million barrels) of crude oil and equivalent products in April, up 4.4% compared with the same month in 2016.

Chart 1  Chart 1: Production of crude oil and equivalent products
Production of crude oil and equivalent products

Crude oil production

The increase in production of crude oil and equivalent products was driven primarily by synthetic crude (up 20.0% to 3.5 million cubic metres), heavy crude oil (up 3.2% to 1.9 million cubic metres) and light and medium crude production (up 0.6% to 3.8 million cubic metres). Despite the increase in April, production was the lowest since June 2016. This was attributable to a fire and explosion that occurred in March at an oil upgrader facility in northern Alberta.

Meanwhile, non-upgraded crude bitumen production declined 0.5% to 7.4 million cubic metres.

April's non-upgraded crude bitumen production consisted of mined crude bitumen (up 10.3% to 4.6 million cubic metres), plus in situ crude bitumen (up 3.4% to 6.8 million cubic metres), minus crude bitumen sent for further processing (up 20.9% to 4.0 million cubic metres).

Chart 2  Chart 2: Production of crude oil and equivalent products by type of product
Production of crude oil and equivalent products by type of product

Provincial production

Alberta produced 14.2 million cubic metres of crude oil and equivalent products, up 4.6% from April 2016 and accounting for 78.7% of Canada's total production. Saskatchewan and Newfoundland and Labrador were also key producing provinces.

Refinery use of crude oil

In April, input of crude oil to Canadian refineries totalled 8.0 million cubic metres, up 1.5% compared with the same month in 2016. Conventional crude oil represented 65.7% of the total, while non-conventional crude oil accounted for the remaining 34.3%.

Exports and imports

Exports of crude oil and equivalent products rose 15.1% in April compared with the same month in 2016, to 16.2 million cubic metres. The vast majority of exports (89.1%) were transported via pipelines, while other means (including rail, truck and marine) accounted for the remaining 10.9%.

Over the same period, imports to Canadian refineries declined 3.4% to 2.9 million cubic metres.

Chart 3  Chart 3: Exports and imports of crude oil and equivalent products
Exports and imports of crude oil and equivalent products

Inventories

Closing inventories of crude oil and equivalent products were down 2.8% to 17.8 million cubic metres in April compared with the same month in 2016.

Marketable natural gas

Canada produced 13.7 billion cubic metres of marketable natural gas in April, up 7.3% compared with the same month in 2016. Alberta (72.7%) and British Columbia (24.5%) accounted for almost all of Canadian production.

Additional information on natural gas is available in "Natural gas transmission, storage and distribution," published in The Daily on June 23, 2017.

  Note to readers

As of the March 2016 reference month, content and methodology changes were made to the Monthly Oil and Other Liquid Petroleum Products Pipeline Survey. For more information, consult the Monthly Oil and Other Liquid Petroleum Products Pipeline Survey.

Data on crude oil and equivalent products, previously found in CANSIM table 126-0001, are now published in CANSIM table 126-0003. While CANSIM table 126-0001 will remain available for reference, users should exercise caution when comparing data with those of the new CANSIM table.

Information on the disposition of crude oil and equivalent products to refineries by province and on exports to the United States by district were discontinued. New data on imports, exports, input to Canadian refineries and inventories were added to CANSIM table 126-0003.

Data are subject to revision.

Crude oil and equivalent products include heavy, light and medium crude oil, synthetic crude oil, crude bitumen, condensate, and pentanes plus.

Export data are a combination of National Energy Board data and survey respondents' data.

Import data include imports of crude oil by refineries and by others.

Total marketable gas includes receipts from fields, gas gathering systems and/or gas plants.

The crude oil and natural gas supply and disposition program uses respondent data as well as administrative data provided by federal, provincial and territorial authorities with regulatory responsibilities within their respective jurisdictions.

Contact information

For more information, or to enquire about the concepts, methods or data quality of this release, contact us (toll-free 1-800-263-1136; 514-283-8300; STATCAN.infostats-infostats.STATCAN@canada.ca) or Media Relations (613-951-4636; STATCAN.mediahotline-ligneinfomedias.STATCAN@canada.ca).

Date modified: